Monday, February 4, 2008

Tsagaan Sar

Tsagaan Sar is begins this weekend. I am excited to wear my new deel (traditional clothing) and my Mongol boots.
So, this will be my first Tsagaan Sar, but this is what I know so far: (then I'll write after)
-we will eat lots of buuz (some of my favorite mongol food)
-we will eat a little bit of sheep butt
-we will drink vodka (funny that nobody has been able to buy vodka in Mongolia since New Years, but the week before Tsagaan Sar, the shops are stacked with vodka again. coincidence? I don't think so)
-We will go to many different people's houses and eat buuz
-the guys will compare how many buuz they can eat in one day
-we will drink hudoo (country) airag (hurray. i like that stuff. but the airag has been bad lately.. and i'm excited to have good airag)
-supposedly Tsagaan Sar is the end of winter, but many Americans don't believe this.
-Mongolians love to see the Americans in deels
-Mongolians will laugh at me because I am wearing my buus wrong
-Tsagaan Sar is the same as the chinese new year.... but don't tell Mongolians that
-According to the Americans... Tsagaan Sar is three days long, but celebrated for a little under a month
-I need to bring little gifts to people's houses, but Mongolian tradition focuses on giving the guests gifts

That's all I know for now, and it is all from word of mouth.





by the way... something exciting for me... after a few days of avoiding most websites... I will finally be able to watch the superbowl tomorrow!!!! HURRAY!!! The Ambassador taped it for us and we are all set up for a superbowl party!
What could be better? first the superbowl, then tsagaan sar, then work starts being busy again, then we have another training, and then it will be YAK FESTIVAL! I'm really looking forward to Yak Festival!

4 comments:

Robin said...

gamp...
i wish i had a better way to respond to the messages you leave. but for now i am stuck to responding on here. thanks for all the information! i didn't know any of that! i don't know if you read my tsagaan sar blog that i wrote after my first tsagaan sar experience. in case you didn't, here's what i think of it: tsagaan is one of my new favorite holidays! people are so friendly and nice, and since i love buuz, the food is great! i was fortunate enough to celebrate bituun with a herder family and it felt great to be included in all the festivities. also, i found a new love for deels. they are warm and comfortable! they are very conventional! if you send my tsagaan sar article to an american friend, send the one i wrote after tsagaan sar. the one i wrote before... i really didn't know what to expect, except for what I had heard from other people. anyway... hope all is well in the US. i'm off to teach....

Anonymous said...

robininmongolia.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

i truthfully love all your posting choice, very unique,
don't quit as well as keep creating due to the fact that it simply worth to follow it.
impatient to looked over much of your own content articles, have a great day :)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant post! Will you follow-up on this particular matter?