Friday, August 10, 2007

placement

The past few days have been pretty eventful! I left my host family, packed my things, and took a Micre (taxi-mini van size) to Darkhan. I reunited with the rest of my group, which is always interesting. After a few sessions, it was time for SITE PLACEMENT! The moment we've all been waiting for! I can now say...I know where I'm going to be living for the next two years. I am going to be in Ovorhoungai (sp?) in the Aimag center, that I can't pronounce yet. I'll find out how to spell it and let you know. I will be working at the Aimag Children Center doing.....well we'll see exactly what it is. I have a whole packet explaining my job, but it is still a little vague. The first few months are going to be filled with observation and adjustment. For site placement, they roll out a huge map of Mongolia and anounce one job at a time, followed by the persons name. You stand where you are on the map and watch everyone else. It was a very suspensful and emotional moment. I didn't expect the emotional part, but it is kind of sad seeing everyone being separated and being placed so far away from some of my best friends out here. I was one of the last people to be called. i need to hurry this up, but I will be going to Ulaanbataar in a few days and will swear in (on Amy's birthday)! After about 5 days there, I will pack my things and head on my 7 hours ride to Ovorhungai. I have 5 other volunteers in my area. Ok, i promise, i'll write more soon! i hope everyone doing well!

3 comments:

Car with a Gill said...

did you get assigned to a group with anybody you know?

Car with a Gill said...

my question has been answered.. ignore :)

have i told you lately that i love you?

no?

ok just checkin

swaaaan said...

yay! I'm so excited for you. You've got me looking at plane tickets to far away places. :) Keep on writing, I'll keep on reading!