Tuesday, October 16, 2007

SNOW!!!

10-12-07
Yesterday, I was lying in bed, counting the minutes until I really needed to get up. My cat was trying to convince me it was time by walking on my chest, playing with my draw string and meowing incessantly. Then, I got a text message. It read "It’s snowing, what a beautiful day". I immediately jumped out of bed, quickly slipped on a jacket and put on my crocks (of all shoes) ran downstairs and walked outside. The snow was falling and there was white barely covering the ground. I decided I wanted my camera. I ran upstairs, tested all the batteries I have, until I found some that would give me enough juice for a few pictures. I only got a couple pictures in before my camera completely died on me. As my toes started to freeze, I went back inside and began to get ready for work. I found myself taking longer than usual due to my constant staring outside at the snow. Finally, I was ready for work and started my walk. I walked to work, completely amazed by the snow. It’s such a funny feeling! Totally different than going to the mountains. I live in the snow. I have never lived in a place where it would snow, and on this day I found it very difficult to dress for work. I had no idea what to where!!! I walked to work and surprisingly didn’t freeze my ass off. Upon arriving at work, I continued to stair out the window. It just kept coming. I would go outside every once in a while just to see how deep it was and to enjoy it while it was falling out of the sky. It was so beautiful!!! I arranged to borrow my friend’s camera so I could take pictures of my first snowy day. After lunch, I walked into my work and we skipped the English lesson to drink airag, and eat boodz and araal. I made sure to leave work early so I could take lots of pictures before the sky grew dark. People definitely looked at me, thinking I was a tourist. Even my peace corps friends thought it was funny that I wanted to take pictures and play in the snow. This is what happens when you take a southern California girl and stick her in Mongolia….

No comments: