Friday, March 13, 2009

February and March
















I got back from Thailand the day before my birthday. I spent my birthday relaxing at the guesthouse, watching movies. I only left to go out, eat dinner, and by a little beer.

When I returned to Site, it was time to not do a whole lot because everyone was preparing for Tsagaan Sar. A pretty intense Mongolian holiday. Since I wrote all about the rites and rituals of Tsagaan Sar last year... I'm not going to right now. (it's still there, go read it) This Tsagaan Sar was very different for me because I am now living with a Mongolian family. I got to see a different side of the holiday. I spent Bituun (the night before) and the following day with my family, going to many homes for buuz, mongol beer, salads, airag, and milk tea. The next two days, I went to a couple houses, but I lost my phone and after that my Tsagaan Sar was a little slow. I wasn't too disappointed. Tsagaan Sar is supposed to last 3 days but in actuality, it lasts as long as it wants to. I think it's really... until the food is gone. I didn't have a phone for a little over a week and I actually really enjoyed it. There were certain times when it would have been a nice convenience, but all in all, it was liberating. Some people are still celebrating Tsagaan Sar...


This brings me almost up-to-date. I am currently waiting on one last letter of recommendation (hhmmmm... if you're reading this) and I am ready to submit my application to a graduate social work program at CSULB. So, if I get in.. the plan is to move back to Long Beach and do that. I'm also going to work towards my Child Welfare and Attendance credential, so I can one day be a School Social Worker. The truth is, I don't know exactly how "soon" that will be, but it's a good job that I know I could do... once I"m ready to settle down a little. The problem is that Peace Corps has opened my eyes to a lot more things that I want to learn and get involved in: child labor, human rights, science of some sort, human trafficking, community development, international relations, etc... etc... etc...

I 'might' be taking a little trip to Hovd and Ulgii, and then to Hovsgol... i'll let you know how they go.


possibly more reflections at another time...



peace, love, strength, understanding, and stay positive. these are the important things in life.

1 comment:

Scott and Jessica said...

Adorable pictures!! That's cool that you may be going into the field of social work. You would do great at it. I like your line at the end <3