Saturday, August 20, 2011

Is this your first time to India? (asked so much its almost like another saying)

I arrived in Bodhgaya at night time, not a clue where my guesthouse was. I started asking around and after heading down what seemed like a shady street, I headed to an internet cafe and the nice boys working there called the guesthouse. They explained it was down that street that I wasn't so comfortable with, but when I didn't seem happy about that they directed me to a closer guesthouse. I followed their instructions and what invited on the motorcycle of an Indian man. I am hesitant to get on Motorcycles and even more hesitant a motorcycle of a random man in the middle of the night. He saw this and rode slowly until we found another foreigner walking on the street who was headed to the same guesthouse. I went with her and we found our way, thanks to my handy headlamp. I checked in and retired for the night. The next day, I read the chapter in the lonely planet and set out for whatever was to come. I headed to the Bodhi tree and temple where Siddartha is said to have achieved enlightenment, becoming the buddha. On my way there, tons of people tried to sell me things, offered me a tuk tuk, and even to show my way to the tree. These two boys started walking with me. At first, I was somewhat annoyed, knowing I wasn't going to give them any money for a "tour". Then they talked about practicing their English and I remembered a good friend of mine in the Peace Corps who lived in a nearby town that had a major tourist sight for Mongolia. Her English students would hang around the monastery and practice their English with the tourists. I talked to them for a minute while I walked to the enterance of the temple and left them there. I entered and noticed the tourists from all over India and the world. There was a huge delegation of Sri Lankans engaged in a pilgrimage to this holy site. I sat at the tree for a while and appreciated all the worshipers. It didn't take long for one of my friends from outside to find me with his other friend. I sat and talked to them for a while and people would come up and for a photo with me. I agreed and my new friends explained that they were from other parts of India and had probably never seen a white person before. I spent the whole day walking and talking with my new friends, who ask people for money for their school, but they never did ask me for $. They explained to me how the felt about tourists. The state of Bihar is one of the poorest states in India and some of the scenery in the state is that you would find when looking at pictures of Africa. People just as dark as Africa, carrying things on their heads, colorful saris, working hard, and extreme poverty. Bodhgaya is filled with monasteries built in the cultural fashion of many different countries. I visited most of them in one day, and the last 2 another day. There is also a giant statue of the Buddha, which I found somewhat less impressive, but other people really enjoyed. It's neat to look at, but seems a little anti-buddha to me. Bodhgaya was a very interesting place, but I was sick and the mosquitos drove me absolutely insane.

No comments: